Monday, August 25, 2008

thanks, and a comment

Hello everyone!
Thank you very much for your comments, and for your interest in making progress and getting to know your classmates better.
There is only one little "but": a few of you have made somehow negative comments on other subjects and teachers. This blog has the aim of encouraging progress in the knowledge of the subject, and of building on what you already know. They are positive, constructive aims. Therefore, let us please use the blog only for its original purpose, and omit any negative comment about any member of our institution, be it authorities, teachers or students. This kind of comment has absolutely no relationship with what we are trying to do, and with the topics that we need to debate. You are free to give your opinion provided you respect everyone. Remember it was one of the rules: always be polite. Blog moderators can choose to view all comments before they are published, and decide if they will be published or not. I have chosen not to do this, and I hope I will have no need to change my decision.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I totally agree with the idea of giving constructive opinions instead of criticizing. Let´s make the most of this place we have to express ourselves.
Well, if you let me, I´d like to introduce a quotation from an American writer and journalist for discussion:

"The family you come from isn´t as important as the family you´re going to have"
"Ring" Lardner

Do you agree or not? Personally, I think we always believe we can do it better than our parents did, even if we are taking the risk of making more seriuos mistakes than they could have made.But I think this is the way it works, you try not to repeat mistakes and copy the good examples from your parents. And it´s a great responsibility you have because when you start a family, your decisions not only affect you but your children as well. You are responsible for raising the future generation!
Pat

Rosebud said...

Well, I guess I never thaught of it in that way.
Of course we will always aim at becoming exellent (or at least good enough) parents and it is true that we tend to make an effort not to repeat the same mistakes our parents made, so we pick up what we know or think to be best. And it is endeed a great resposibility we are facing, where every decision makes its mark on your children.
However, I don't quite agree with "Ring" Lardner's idea of the family you're starting being more important than the one you come from because, in my opinion, it is from the experience you got from the latter that you are going to make the decisions that will affect the new family. Whether that experience is your role model or something you do not want to repeat, it all the same is what you take into account, what you take as the starting point that will help you develop an idea of what you want your new family to be like.
So, I would say that the two families you take part in are, at least, equally important -if it is not the case that the one you come from is to be considered more important since it determines in some way the family you're going to have-.

A. F. Ch. said...

Personally, I disagree with that statement in the sense that, we have been arised as the live image of our parents, as a matter of fact, all of our knowledge and experiences regarding life and many others such as education, politeness and behaviour,for instance, have been introduced by them.

I'm perfectly aware that the family we are going to build up, would be of a mayor importance,for some of us, I do not comment on that at all. However, knowing where we come from and the basis we have been taught correspond to an apprehension of a more mature and solid way of thinking.

Unknown said...

I agree with you, Pat, and I really hope to do it better than my parents did with us...But I know that I have a character similar to my mother's, especially those things I didn't like about her when I was a child.
My parents have made many mistakes but they have also taught us a lot.
The family I come from is a good example to take into account; I should only imitate the good things, trying to change those that hurt me.